Hannah’s cardiologist called me today and relayed the bad news that her Holter monitor results were not good. She had over 2 hours of atrial tachycardia, with peak heart rate of 232. So the increased dose of Flecainide did not correct the issue. We were wondering what was taking so long to get the Holter results back, and it was because he was consulting with the electrophysiology team from Ochsner about a possible ablation attempt. Success rates for ablation are VERY good (>80%).
So the good news is that overall she is very healthy. Her ventricular function is excellent, so it’s not like we’re having to deal with this in addition to congestive heart failure or poor ventricular function. We knew we would be going down this road eventually, after realizing that she had not outgrown the arrhythmia a few years ago. Medication can and will continue to keep the problem under control, but it will only control the problem, not correct it.
The main electrophysiologist at Ochsner is out of town this week, so early next week Dr. Brumund will be speaking to him and formulating a game plan. At some point Lori, Hannah, and I will go down there to meet with the team and discuss our options. For right now, the addition of Propranolol should help keep both her rhythm and rate under control until the ablation procedure is performed. It will take a few days for the Propranolol to reach steady state in her blood stream, so we will do another Holter monitor on Friday.
Please continue to pray for Hannah, that God would totally deliver her from this arrhythmia! Pray that He will give us wisdom and guidance so that we can make the best decision for our little princess.